If you would like to enter into a Hawaii civil union on Sun., Jan. 1, or Mon., Jan. 2, A Rainbow in Paradise can assist.

As both days are legal holidays where Hawaii Department of Health is closed, we have an authorized agent available who can meet couples on either day and issue an official Hawaii Civil Union license.

  • If you are already in a Hawaii Registered Reciprocal Beneficiary Relationship (RB), you cannot enter into a Hawaii civil union or be issued a civil union license until you terminate your RB relationship. The Hawaii Department of Health is collaborating with Equality Hawaii to make representatives available to process RB terminations by the end of business on Fri., Dec. 30.
  • Before a civil union license can be issued, you must first go online and complete a civil union license application and pay the required fee. The Department of Health Web site will go live at midnight on Jan. 1, 2012. For details visit http://hawaii.gov/health/vital-records/vital-records/civilunion/index.html.

Equality Hawaii is also collaborating with Lambda Legal on producing a civil unions “Frequently Asked Questions” fact sheet. You can view this info in a few days on the Equality Hawaii website at http://www.equalityhawaii.org